Friday, January 17, 2014

Something To Hold On To

I get very sentimental about inanimate objects.

(It's only two weeks to February 4th, the 14th anniversary of my brother Daniel's death.

Lately I've been grappeling with a fear of getting married- of loving someone else that much. Because most likely he would die first. And how would I watch him die?

But my parents are aging, aren't they? Don't they suffer through some new side effect of aging every year?

And didn't my little sister end up in the emergency room last year? And sometimes, don't you lie in bed and listen to her breathe?)

To go one further, I associate my loved ones with my stuffed animals.

***

Teddy was the first. A simple name for a classic teddy bear. He was my father's, from Aeropostale. Currently I own somewhere around forty stuffed animals. I don't know what to do with them. Most of them were accumulated in childhood. Some of them more recently. Two years ago I had to put a definite stop on my stuffed animal accumulation habits, because soon I would become a stuffed animal hoarder and I wouldn't be able to bring them with me when I moved out because there would be too many.

I can't get rid of them. I can't get rid of them because they are, in my mind, connected to people I love, and worse, to those who are dead, and even stranger, to those I haven't loved yet. A strange habit I got into as a child with a dying brother. Cut me some slack. The oldest are Teddy and Boudica. And Rocky, who was Daniel's. Bullet, Jack, Beary, Leona, Calum's Otter, Heath... There are more. They all have names and I remember them all.

***

I am afraid of death. I have a confidence in the next life, but I am terrified of people dying and leaving me here alone, now. I am terrified of being a widow. I am terrified of losing a child. (Of course I am, how could I not be?) I went through a time when I was convinced our apartment was going to burn down. So I packed an emergency bag and kept it at the foot of my bed. In case I woke in the middle of the night, house in flames around me, I could grab the bag and run. In the bag was Teddy, Boudica, and Rocky. Of course. My stuffed animals, in a very real way, for years, signified life for me. I truly believed that they were living things that had feelings, needed love and care, and could feel pain. I grew out of that belief, eventually, but no one as afraid of death as I am could actively get rid of her stuffed animals that she once believed to be alive. It'd be something like murder.

I own about forty stuffed animals and I don't know what to do with them. They are intricately connected to my past; a childhood I can not reclaim or remember because it is missing a prime member. They are one of the few material things that lived through my old life. They were loved by a version of myself that no longer exists.

The problem is stuffed animals don't die. And I can't kill them. Rocky and Spotty outlived Daniel. He slept with them, loved them, touched them. And they outlived him. They're living on, in a box. And I'm living on. And every year I grow further and further from the little girl who loved her brother and his stuffed dogs, but the dogs remain the same. So I can't get rid of them. Because they are still a part of me. They are what is left of my brother. They are everything I've lost- safe, in plastic storage containers.

Yet things change. People change. Life changes. The Ronald McDonald House has been renovated and Schneiders Hospital has been renamed. I am different. My family is different. The network of people who love me is different. Every day little things change. The mural in Veselka is different. They moved George Washington Crossing the Delaware. We own a different car. We painted. Every day the New York that Daniel lived in changes a little bit more, and every day I change in it. One day, neither I nor this city will be recognizable as the place where Daniel lived.

Death is scary because death is change. Death is a no-going-back difference in the world that you can't argue and fight your way out of. So, if I keep Teddy and Boudica and Rocky in a plastic storage container, if I keep them in my emergency bag at the foot of my bed, if I love them like a time capsule, if I can keep them from falling apart.... then there they are. Unchanging. Safe. Alive.

***

But what's the point? I think about Winnie-the-Pooh, sitting in a glass box in the Schwartzman branch. I think of when he lived in Donnell, before that. He has outlived A.A. Milne and Christopher Robin. What's he doing now, but slowly falling apart?

And what the hell am I going to do with Teddy and Boudica and Rocky and the others? No one's going to erect a special exhibit and put them on display. "Stuffed Animals of Girl who Lost her Brother." Because the older I get, and the more tragedy the rest of the world goes through, the less significant my loss is. When I was six, my tragedy was unique. Now almost everyone I know has lost a parent, a sibling, a grandfather, an uncle, a best friend, a neighbor. I can't expect the world will stay the same for me if it doesn't stay stagnant for anyone else.

Some things are in my control. And until I can think of some alternative option, until I can grow out of whatever this rut is, until I can accept that one day there will be nothing in this world that was seen and touched and loved by Daniel... then I'm keeping them. All forty-something of them. Even the ones Daniel never touched. Because someone else loved those- a sibling, parent, friend. And as long as that someone is alive, then the stuffed animal is an insurance. A little piece of them. Something to look in the eye and hold on to.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!
    I don't know if you want this kind of feedback (this is the first post I've read out of our group), but I noticed you say that you own somewhere around forty stuffed animals and you don't what to do with them in the first and fourth paragraphs. I don't know if that was intentional or if it slipped through the cracks.

    OK, enough grammatical parsing. I really appreciated this piece. You're definitely writing from your heart and it was a privilege to learn about something that has had such an impact on who you are even though I don't know you well.

    A couple of my stuffed animals are still boxed up in my attic, too. I can identify with items and objects from childhood carrying memories that you want to hold onto and keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful and real. I don't see why you shouldn't keep your stuffed animals forever. Parts of your history can be directly connected to material objects, and that's good and fascinating and important. As far as writing styles, your use fragmented sentences was raw and made the post conversational, all the more from the heart. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vincent, the repetition was on purpose. :) Just a stylist choice. I was trying to go for something memoiry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and powerful, and girl, don't say you aren't a writer because you used every sentence here to to say something.
    I think one day when you have kids they'll appreciate those stuffed animals especially if they belonged to their grandfather who seems too old to have ever had stuffed animals or their uncle they'll never meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your empathy and compassion for inanimate objects is healthy. It shows you appreciate things, even things that cannot move or talk or show empathy back. Being afraid of death is normal too, and I sympathize with your fear of others' deaths being greater than your fear of your own...again, it's a sign of empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I think you should keep them, if you can. Anything that helps, even in the smallest way, to ease the pain, is something to hold on to (as long as it’s in the realm of healthy, I suppose I should add). Daniel will always be a part of you, no matter how the world changes. I’ve heard bits here and there about your brother, but this is the most I’ve learned about him and how it impacted you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete